FIGHT FOR MIKE

FIGHT FOR MIKE
FIGHT FOR MIKE

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

DAY 17 OF TREATMENT 09/11/13

Wednesday, September 11th

My heart is sad today thinking back 12 years ago when our country suffered the most horrendous attack on our soil and country.   I paused at 2:45, our time here in Germany, for a moment of silence to honor all those innocent people who lost their lives.    We will NEVER forget you.   

When we were in meeting with Dr. Weber to go over Mike's other test results, we mentioned to him about today being the 12th anniversary of 9/11.  He showed us a poster that he has on his bookshelf of the Twin Towers.  He said he can remember watching that on TV.  All Mikes other results were within the normal ranges.   He did say Mike was Magnesium deficient so he was going to start him on that.

I am sorry if there are some of you that tuned in earlier today to read the blog and were unable to do so.   My blogger account had been blocked because of some unusual activity.  It took me forever to try to get my account unblocked because the recovery method they wanted to use was to send a text message or a voice call to the cell phone they had on file.  Unfortunately, this is my home cell phone (which I have with me), but that phone does not have international coverage.  I kept working and working trying to get this straightened out because there was no way for them to contact me that way.  I was really stressing out about this because I thought how am I going to be able to share the happenings here with everyone.  But anyway..... I am back.

On top of that, I was already somewhat in a teary mood thinking about the significance of today, and then we received wonderful news about Christy.  Her tumor markers have substantially gone down.  Once she sat down and actually vocalized this and let it sink in,  the realization of what Dr Weber said actually hit her.  She let the emotion inside of her out and that brought tears to my eyes as well.   I was so happy for her.   It was then Dave's turn.  He went in to go over his MRI results with the doctor.   ( In the mornings, I sit on the landing outside of Dr, Weber's office.   Whenever anyone came out from their meeting with the doctor, I had always been apprehensive to look them in the eye in case they had not gotten good news. )  I had my head down working on my computer, and I looked up to see Dave's wife, Jennifer, giving me the thumbs up signal.  The tumors in his liver have shrunk.   He still has a lot going on in his pancreas.   They said that Dr. Weber wants him to come back in 8 weeks.   I have been crying every time someone gets their results, and Christy tonight said it best, "We all have a vested interest in each other".   This is so true.   We have become so close and entwined in one another's story and feelings that what affects them, affects us.

After lunch today Christy, Mike, and I started to walk into town to get some exercise and check out some other stores further in town that we did not venture to earlier.  It was chilly enough that we were wearing long sleeves.  It is supposed to rain the next two days so we wanted to get the walk in while we could.   We also checked out some locations for Christy to stay for the last 3 days of her stay here.  She started out in the clinic, but to cut down on the expense, she moved into a farmhouse where she is renting a room.  We went into the hotel here in Brannenburg to take a look at a couple of the rooms. They were quite small, but most of the time is spent here at the clinic so the rooms are enough to sleep in.  She has found a couple of openings so she was productive in her search.   This gave us some knowledge of what is available that can be passed onto others who may want to come here.

Today's menu:

Lunch was creamy asparagus or clear soup with parsnips.  Mike had the creamy soup.  I skipped that today. His main meal was Tyrol Onion roast with potatoes and butter beans.   He gave his steak to Dennis, who I said was the steak and potatoes kind of guy.  His butter beans were actually French green beans.  My meal was Sauteed Vegetables.  I was able to fill a soup bowl with the mushrooms that were in this and gave them to Mike to eat.  I just cannot eat these whole or sliced.   Dessert was chocolate creme with Pear.  It was a chocolate pudding with cut up pear

Dinner was cold buffet which was thinly sliced cheese and cold meat, rolls and butter, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. hard boiled eggs halved, pickles and then fruit.

After dinner, we all went up to the 1st floor landing to talk and ran into Ivan and Kate.  Ivan was having trouble with his catheter and had blood in his urine.  He came back to the clinic to have the nurse check this. She in turn called Dr. Weber who said he was coming in.   Dr. Weber can in and made some adjustments to the catheter which made a big difference.   They were really concerned about this.   We were all so happy that it was not anything major.  Not long after that everyone called it a night around 8:00 and retired to their rooms for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment